I grew up listening to classical music. I had no idea about rock music. One day, my friend introduced me to John Lennon and the Beatles, and thus began my musical education which continues today. Now I listen to absolutely everything I can, and it’s John Lennon who opened my ears.
One of the biggest musical influences, John Lennon was many things rolled into one. Not just The Beatles, he was one of the biggest peace promoters and inspirational figures of his time.
John Lennon will be known for the many things that he did with the Beatles, but something that he will always be remembered for are his ideas about peace.
Although the world became a less love-filled place when Lennon was gone, but luckily we were left with enormous life-lessons from the genius.
So here are 11 thought-provoking and motivational sayings from the man himself:
1. Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans
There is a lot of truth in it. We tend to miss enjoying small things in the pursuit of apparently more important goals. Carpe Diem! Seize EVERY day!
2. Count your age by friends, not years. Count your life by smiles, not tears.
The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate. Measure your life by the company you keep and the goodness you can give to people around you.
3. Love is the answer. What was the question?
What the world needs right now? Answer: Love.
What word makes the people unite? Answer: Love.
What is not just for some but for everyone? Answer: Love.
Love is always the answer.
4. Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted
Remember, even though you are not always doing something that you enjoy…like working at the office. But you can still enjoy by relaxing or just talking to your colleagues. If you are getting pleasure from a moment then it is never a waste of time. Nothing is ever wasted.
5. Trying to please everybody is impossible. If you did that, you’d end up in the middle with nobody liking you.
You’ve just got to make the decision about what you think is your best, and do it.
6. It’s weird not to be weird
Our weirdness defines our personality. Those who are weird in some way are just plain weird. As simple as that.
7. If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there’d be peace.
If we demanded peace instead of demanding cheap petrol our cars, we would have peace. We say we want world peace and an end to world hunger, but our actions are all geared towards acquiring more and more worldly goods.
8. You don’t need anybody to tell you who you are or what you are. You are what you are!
9. The more I see, the less I know for sure.
At one time or another, one goes through this phase in life. Sometimes, one questions the reality of life.. How? Why? Who? When?
..in turn we gain wisdom from it.
10. It doesn’t matter how long my hair is or what colour my skin is or whether I’m a woman or a man
Never use excuses while achieving great things. Success is not restricted to culture, gender or heritage.
11. Imagine all the people living life in peace
I hope someday you’ll join us, and the world will be as one.
This is another side of the man who encouraged us all to ‘Imagine’. John Lennon would have been 75 years old today had his life not been cut terribly short.
His ideas and sayings will be remembered forever as long as we all shall live!
He taught me to stand up for what I believe in…He taught me to dream big…He made me what I am today. 🙂