You can take a kid out of a hill station, but you can’t take the hill station out of a kid. Here are 15 tell-tale signs that you grew up in a hill station.
1. You hate the plains coz of the weather
Nothing irritates you more about the plains than the weather. Especially, these days, you can’t help but go, “Dude! My town is like centrally air conditioned!”
2. You’re used to clean places; you hate the filth elsewhere
Most Indian hill stations are also the cleanest towns in India. You simply don’t have mounds of garbage rotting by the wayside.
3. There is no dearth of amazing picnic spots
..and they were never more than half an hour away.
4. You can perfectly relate to Ruskin Bond and Enid Blyton novels
You feel like one of the ‘Famous Five’ 🙂
5. Trekking comes naturally to you
“Oh, you went for a trek?” That’s cute. I did that every weekend with my father when I was a kid!
6. Your school is one of the finest schools in the country
..and you are insanely proud of it.
7. You had two months long winter vacation!
..which means visiting your cousins who stayed on the plains and have all the fun with their toys while they go to school.
8. Almost everyone in the town knew each other
..so you considered going out on a date without running into a relative, an achievement.
9. But, your town had plenty of ‘hidden places’
..nooks, crannies, ridges and “Lover’s Points” made up for that.
10. You think your town has the best bakeries in the world
..with the yummiest cakes and cookies, and that no other big city cake shop, however fancy, can beat them.
11. But, you survived your teenage years on momos
..coz nothing complements the weather better.
12. You always think you speak better English than your friends from the plains
You got me there.
13. You grew up hearing stories about a creepy bungalow down the road
A healthy dose of homemade horror about that creepy bungalow down the road or the <insert fancy English name> Estate up the hill.
14. You actually celebrate Christmas
..along with other festivals with equal gusto.