“Rahul Dravid is a player who would walk on broken glass if his team asks him to.”
This line by former cricketer Navjot Singh Sidhu perfectly sums up the legend that is Rahul Dravid. A selfless cricketer who always put the nation and his team before his own interests and records. Kept wickets when the team needed an extra batsman, opened the batting when no other player was fit, gave up captaincy for the team’s benefit, ended his career to give more chances to youngsters and even after retirement, he is working on the junior talents of the nation as a coach. If cricket is a gentleman’s game, then Rahul Dravid is the perfect definition of that gentleman.
In an international career spanning a decade and a half, Rahul Dravid played numerous important innings for India. Here is a compilation of a few of his best ones that will remain etched in the memories of his fans for a long, long time.
1. Dravid didn’t take much time to announce his might at the big stage
2. When everyone else failed, Dravid was the man everyone looked up to
3. Consistency was a prime characteristic of Dravid’s batting
4. He took Indian team to soaring heights by his brilliant batting performances
5. He dominated every team he played against and made batting look no less than art
6. No matter how bad the situation got, Dravid always anchored the innings from an end
7. Whether the pitch was bouncy, turning or flat, Dravid’s performance never got affected
8. He is one of only seven players who have scored over 10,000 runs in both Test and ODI cricket.
9. Throughout his career, Dravid was always the ‘go-to’ man for the team
10. He doesn’t have a lot of ODI centuries, but he never cared for milestones and always played for the team’s interest
11. A man who defines class, Rahul Dravid had every shot in cricket’s text book
12. Although India didn’t even reach the semi-finals, Rahul Dravid was the top run scorer in the ‘ICC Cricket World Cup 1999’
13. Dravid didn’t just impress everyone on the field but is also known for a humble and supportive nature off of it
14. In an international career spanning over a decade, Rahul Dravid was never involved in any controversy and was aptly known as ‘Mr Cool’
15. Even after getting retired from the game, Dravid is still giving his 100% for making India’s cricketing future bright
It would be nearly impossible for India to get another Rahul Dravid. If there are any words that explain his might, they are:
‘Commitment, Consistency and Class’
Poster Courtesy: Sachin Kaushik