India is the land of butter chicken, pani-puri, jalebi and what not. Our love for food exceeds our love for everything else. And why shouldn’t it? With 29 states contributing to the Indian cuisine and with the number of dishes we have to our name, we should be nothing but proud of it.
So, here are 11 astounding facts about Indian food that will definitely amaze the foodie within you:
1. According to Indian food theory, there are six different tastes: sweet, sour, salty, spicy, bitter, and astringent
A proper Indian meal attempts to balance each of these flavors, with one or two of them standing out, but no one dish containing all six.
2. Dedicated to Lord Vishnu, the Kallazhagar temple (Azhagar Kovil), 21 kms from Madurai distributes a unique Prasadam to the devotees – Dosas
3. Love eating samosas? Here’s a shocker for you – it’s not Indian
4. India consumes 50% of the world’s whiskey
5. Black Rice, also known as Magic Rice, Forbidden Rice and Purple Rice, is a popular food preparation in Manipur
Found only in India and China, this unusual rice type is black in colour when harvested but turns purple when cooked
6. India has the world’s lowest meat consumption per person
📣 Follow Storypick on Instagram! Click here to follow @story.pick
7. 70% of all the world’s spices come from India
8. The crystallization and making of sugar from sugarcane juice began in India
9. Speaking of sugar, did you know that by the 5th century AD, crystallized sugar was referred to as khanda and this is where the word candy is derived from
10. All that glitters is gold – including a gold dosa in India
Are you ready for the final shocker?
11. Chicken tikka masala, the hugely popular Indian curry, is NOT Indian. It was invented in Glasgow, Scotland
Mind = blown? For more amazing facts like these tune-in to Vital Stats of India every Friday, 9PM on HISTORY TV18
Storypick is the online partner for Vital Stats of India