Prince Harry, the younger son of Prince Charles and Princess Diana of Wales lawfully wedded former actress Meghan Markle in a royal ceremony on May 2018. The couple has since then held throne as ‘The Duke and Duchess of Sussex’ (England).
— BBC One (@BBCOne) May 19, 2018
The couple also welcomed the royal baby Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor last year.
View this post on Instagram
Today The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are delighted to share their first public moment as a family. They are so incredibly grateful for the warm wishes and support they’ve received from everyone around the world, since welcoming their son two days ago. Photo cred: Chris Allerton ©️SussexRoyal
However, Prince Harry, who is also the sixth in the line of succession to the British throne, and his wife Meghan have now decided to ‘step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family’, reports Metro. In a shocking revelation, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have decided to ‘work to become financially independent’ and balance their time between the United Kingdom and North America.
View this post on Instagram
“After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution. We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen. It is with your encouragement, particularly over the last few years, that we feel prepared to make this adjustment. We now plan to balance our time between the United Kingdom and North America, continuing to honour our duty to The Queen, the Commonwealth, and our patronages. This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of our new charitable entity. We look forward to sharing the full details of this exciting next step in due course, as we continue to collaborate with Her Majesty The Queen, The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Cambridge and all relevant parties. Until then, please accept our deepest thanks for your continued support.” – The Duke and Duchess of Sussex For more information, please visit sussexroyal.com (link in bio) Image © PA
In an official statement, the couple said that their decision to part ways will provide their family ‘with the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of our new charitable entity.’ However, they intend to ‘continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen’ and ‘continuing to honour our duty to The Queen, the Commonwealth, and our patronages.’
Here’s their full statement:
However, as reported by Metro, the Buckingham Palace said that the decision of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex is a ‘complicated issue’. It also emerged that the Queen and Prince Charles were allegedly unaware of the contents of the couple’s statement. A palace spokeswoman said, “We understand their desire to take a different approach, but these are complicated issues that will take time to work through.”
Statement from the Queen’s office at Buckingham Palace: “Discussions with The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are at an early stage. We understand their desire to take a different approach, but these are complicated issues that will take time to work through.”
— Richard Palmer (@RoyalReporter) January 8, 2020
A BBC royal correspondent has also earlier reported “no other member of the Royal Family was consulted” prior to the release of Meghan and Harry’s statement.
BREAKING. BBC Understands that no other member of the Royal Family was consulted before Harry and Meghan issued their personal statement tonight, the Palace is understood to be ‘disappointed’.
— Jonny Dymond (@JonnyDymond) January 8, 2020
However, the couple’s decision to quit royal life has sent shock waves around the world. Since the couple announced their withdrawal, #Megxit started trending on Twitter with people reacting to the announcement.
I bloody warned you.
— Katie Hopkins (@KTHopkins) January 8, 2020
— simz (@churrotae) January 9, 2020
— M I C H U (@MichuEmenalo) January 9, 2020
— BachShitCray (@Bach_ShitCray) January 9, 2020
I’m such a fucking nerd cause every time I think about #Megxit it goes the same way: Meghan is so badass! -> that letter she wrote when she was a kid about sexism in advertising! -> Diana would love her! -> oh shit she must have sent her to Harry! – and then I’m crying pic.twitter.com/2uYsbwWogF
— haley!® (@LadyTrashfire) January 9, 2020
— JOE (@jxebxck) January 8, 2020
— Fortuna 🐕 (@wooddog28) January 8, 2020
— Jo Frost’s Naughty Step (@supernannyreact) January 8, 2020
Well, to keep following their traditions or to take a path unknown, it’s completely the decision of the Royal couple. We wish them all the luck for whatever they decide for themselves.