Sexual harassment is something that almost all women face at least once in their lifetimes, and men are not completely immune to it either. People have often spoken up about their trials and tribulations of ogling, stalking, groping, and also rape. From women sharing screenshots of unwanted flirty texts sent to them by delivery and customer care agents to a Bengaluru girl who made a map of sexual harassment zones in the city based on several women’s experiences, all of us do try to draw attention to the fact of exactly how widespread this problem and the various different forms it can take in a person’s life.
An Indian male Redditor took to the platform to ask how to support his girlfriend upon learning about her multiple personal instances of sexual harassment she faced as a child. Having not known how much of this prevails in a woman’s life especially, he sought advice on how to deal with the emotional aftermath of it, the effects of which could extend beyond several years. Check out this question below:-
The question naturally brought back a lot of similar bad memories other desi Redditors had in their lives as well. Sharing their stories, they said:-
Some people attempted to come up with their own little suggestions on how to deal with the trauma or support someone else through the trauma that lasts after these incidents take place:-
Some helpline contacts in case you feel the need to reach out for mental health support:-
- NIMHANS, Bengluru toll-free number: 080 – 4611 0007
- Maharashtra state and BMC 24×7 toll-free helpline number: 1800-120-820050 (Marathi, Hindi, English)
- Chandigarh Government Medical College and Hospital have also launched a 24×7 toll-free helpline: 1800-180-2063.
- Icall special psycho-social support helpline during COVID (from Monday to Saturday): 9152987820 (10 am – 6 pm) and another one for healthcare providers & counselors at 9152987824 (10 am – 6 pm)
- Icall other helplines (Monday to Saturday): 93702048501, 9920241248, 8369799513 (10 am-8 pm)
It is truly disturbing to see how many men and women have been victims of harassment. But we hope changes in the execution and implementation of the law and order situation in our country helps tackle these problems as soon as possible.
Cover Image Source- Left