Shashi Tharoor has incredible oratory skills. And like a good man, he uses it in English to embarrass the English in England. And after you hear him speak, you realize that the English actually deserved it.
Even though kids in India do learn colonial history in the form of the Independence struggle, because of rote learning, we tend to forget how it actually affects us even today.
Shashi Tharoor has not minced his words in reminding the British about the atrocities they committed, although he does it by speaking in clear, lucid English which impresses even the native speaker there.
Take a look at some of the gems from his speeches.
1. When he took a great dig at the pride the English feel about their financial aid to India.
2. When he encapsulated the idea of India in this brilliant quote.
3. This is so true.
4. “And then took the Hindi word loot into their dictionary as well as their homes!”
5. When he highlighted a relatively unknown fact
6. This is one of the best burns England will ever feel.
8. But saying sorry is so much more difficult. Giving away money is so easy.
9. Atonement for all the atrocities, the famines, and the loot.
10. Whoa. DID NOT KNOW THAT.
11. And now we are here.
12. Things Britain Needs To Be Reminded About 101
13. When he highlighted that even some developed nations look up to India as an inspiration to solve their problems.
14. When he highlighted why it is so important to teach colonial history to the British youth
Wish you a good one, Mr. Tharoor. Live long and prosper!