When I heard the theme for Met Gala 2019, I knew that something intense was going to happen. This year’s theme is nothing but extraordinary – “Camp: Notes on Fashion”.
Please don’t think of ‘camp’ to mean people with makeshift tents inside a jungle! ‘Camp’ here means exaggerated fashion. According to sources, The exhibit is inspired by Susan Sontag’s 1964 essay that defines camp as “love of the unnatural: of artifice and exaggeration.” Something that is outrageous, not so pleasing to the eye, but aesthetic at the same time.
Here are the looks which stood out this year:
1. Deepika Padukone looking quite the Barbie in her Zac Posen gown.
View this post on Instagram
A Queen 💖✨ @deepikapadukone #metgala #metgala2019 #deepikaatmetgala #camp #notesonfashion . . . . . . . . . . . . #deepikapadukone #metropolitanmuseumofarts #newyork #campnotesonfashion #rihanna #metcamp #cardib #nickiminaj #arianagrande #selenagomez #gigihadid #bellahadid #kyliejenner #kendalljenner #emmawatson #ladygaga #kimkardashian #blakelively #meghanmarkle #priyankachopra #mileycyrus #zendaya #katyperry #bollywood #hollywood
2. Priyanka Chopra has definitely up-d her game this year. Designed by Dior, her outfit makes her look like some kind of Evil Queen straight out of Disney!
PeeCee is the ‘extra’ to Nick Jonas’ ‘basic’!
3. If someone has slayed the red carpet with their delusional make-up it’s hands-down Ezra Miller.
4. Behold the Jenner sisters with their mono-toned fur and feather!
5. Here’s Kim Kardashian styling the most Kim-Kardashian-like gown ever!
6. And here’s JLo who can put any fashionista to shame. She’s 49 btw. Just say’in!
7. If there were an award for the best Met Gala outfit, I’d definitely give it to Cardi B this year!
But this also looks like she dived straight into a rajai.
But remember who did the long-trail thing first? That’s right, our desi girl!
8. Sophie Turner and Joe Jonas make a red carpet debut as newlyweds, twinning in their colour coordinated Louis Vuitton outfits.
9. If there were a Night Queen in GOT, Gigi Hadid would totally bag the role!
📣 Follow Storypick on Instagram! Click here to follow @story.pick
10. Here’s Katy Perry being totally ‘lit’ dressed as a traditional chandelier in an outfit designed by Moschino.
11. Here’s Jared Leto carrying his own head and freaking people out at the Met Gala.
12. You can be cool, but you’ll never be Serena Williams wearing a yellow flower-y gown with Nike kicks cool!
13. Harry Styles looks quite the old-school Latin American dancer in this sheer black outfit with a ruffled collar designed by Gucci.
14. Singer Billy Porter never disappoints. He made a massive entry to the red carpet dressed literally as an Egyptian sun god!
View this post on Instagram
Thank you to all who have taken the past six weeks to make this happen. Thank you to my Creative Director & Stylist @sammyratelle of @rrrcreative for your ability to dream big and for being by my side as we explore this new world. I am living my wildest high fashion dreams. @theblondsny @phillipeblond & @davidblond. There is no one like you. Thank you. For being kind. And fabulous. And glamorous. And snatched!!! I truly felt like a kween today. I will never forget it. @lasonyagunter, you beat this face for the gawds today gurl. Thank you for being my woman. @patmcgrathreal – I cant express enough gratitude for sponsoring our make up today. Mr. @giuseppezanotti – the fact that you created these shoes for me just for this night, is a dream come true. @nicolasputvinski thank you for allowing me to travel in style and designing the killer lewks for my escorts and palanquin. And to my sexy men, thank you for holding papa up . . Creative Director & Stylist for all @sammyratelle for @rrrcreative Agency Styling Assistant: @ashleymarienyc Production Assistant: @estershamailova Custom Look: @theblondsny Custom Shoes: @giuseppezanotti Fine Jewelry: @oscarheyman @andreolifinejewelry @johnhardyjewelry @mordekaiofficial Billy Porter's Make-Up: @lasonyagunter Make-Up Assistant: @mikeyclifton Make-Up provided by: @patmcgrathreal Egyptian Litter & Carrier Designs by: @nicolasputvinski Carriers Make-Up: @facebygoran & @ashleyvictoriamua Mr. Porter's Carriers: @julius_anthony @taureanje @kellenstancil @thejoshdrake @lap_nyc @doniejunior
15. Finally Lady Gaga, who is nothing but theatrical anyway! Gaga had four different looks and all for the red carpet, going towards a more ‘minimal’ approach with each look.
Here’s her first:
And the final one.
She’s not Lady Gaga if she is not ‘extra’!
Who do you think made the best Met Gala 2019 appearance? Let us know!