The human mind is by far the most complex machine in the world. Despite our significant leaps in the fields of technology and medical science, the human mind perplexes us to this day.
These drawings, made by Cyanide & Happiness artist Shawn Cross, perfectly illustrate some of the most complex disorders of the human mind:
1. Agoraphobia is the fear of being in situations from which escape might not be possible or difficult.
2. Anoreixa Nervosa is an eating disorder in which a person tries to keep their weight as low as possible.
3. Attention Deficit Disorder is a group of symptoms which include inattentiveness and impulsiveness.
4. Autism is a condition in which the social interactiveness and communication of the individual are affected.
5. Bipolar Disorder is characterised by severe mood swings from extreme highs to extreme lows.
6. Borderline Personality Disorder can by characterised by disturbed patterns of perception, emotional instability and intense yet unstable relationships.
7. Capgras Syndrome makes the person hold an irrational belief that a friend, spouse or parent has been replaced with an imposter.
8. Cotard’s Delusion is a rare mental illness in which the patients think they are dead or their bodies do not exist.
9. Dependent Personality Disorder is an illness wherein the patient has a fear of being abandoned by or separated from important individuals in their life.
10. Depersonalisation Disorder can be characterised by a feeling of being completely detached from one’s body and thoughts.
11. Disinhibited Social Engagement Disorder is a mental illness in which the patient may show inappropriate or overly familiar behaviour with relative strangers.
12. Dissociative Identity Disorder is a state in which the patient feels a lack of connection with their thoughts, feelings, memories or actions. It’s also known as Multiple Personality Disorder.
13. Insomnia is a disorder in which the patient finds it difficult to get any sleep for prolonged periods of time.
14. Major Depressive Disorder is a state in which the patient experiences a loss of interest, low energy, depressed mood and declining activity for long periods.
15. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is a condition in which the patient feels the compulsion for repetitive behaviour in order to temporarily relieve feelings of anxiety.
16. Paranoid Schizophrenia is a subtype in which the sufferer feels that people close to them are plotting against them or their family.
17. Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is caused by very stressful or fearful events in the patient’s life. The patient may suffer from nightmares and a feeling of isolation.
18. Social Anxiety Disorder is an illness wherein the patient develops and irrational fear of being in social situations. They may feel too self-conscious and have a fear of being constantly watched or judged.
The severity of these complicated disorders is so perfectly illustrated in these drawings. It’s fascinating yet at the same time, extremely terrifying!
Images Source: Facebook