Internet citizens lost their minds after the Salman Khan verdict for his drunk driving mishap finally came out, where he was found guilty. What’s more surprising is that Salman Khan got an interim bail just hours after the verdict. And to whom does he owe this to? His lawyer, and one of the best of the nation, advocate Harish Salve.
Here are a few things you should know about him:
1. Harish Salve, a senior advocate, is also a former Solicitor General of India.
When the government offered him a second term for the same in 2002, Salve declined, officially due to “personal reasons”, but reportedly due to differences with the ruling party’s (UPA govt.) stand in the Best Bakery Gujarat riots case.
2. Born in Nagpur, Salve comes from a family of lawyers. His grandfather, PK Salve, was a successful criminal lawyer.
3. He has appeared for the most elite of the country- one being Ratan Tata himself in a privacy petition concerning the Niira Radia tapes scandal.
4. He defended Keshub Mahindra in the Bhopal gas tragedy case.
5. He represented the Delhi police in the case regarding the supporters of Baba Ramdev.
6. He appeared for Reliance Industries Limited, fighting cases like the Krishna- Godavari Basin gas dispute that was filed against Mukesh Ambani’s brother, Anil Ambani’s Reliance Natural Resources Limited.
Not to mention cases fought for ITC and Vodafone India.
7. He was named the 18th most powerful person in India by India Today in 2009.
8. He is one of the best lawyers in the country; favourite to celebrities, politicians, and top-notch corporate professionals.
9. Needless to say, the lawyer’s fee is extravagant; he charges a whopping 30 lakh per day- It is believed that Ambani had to pay him 15 crore as fee after the case was done and dusted.
10. And finally, Salman Khan got an interim bail hours after his verdict got out, on the grounds that he had not been given a copy of the conviction order by the sessions court.
They say that fortune favours the brave. I’d say, fortune favours the rich.