Comedians are known for tickling your funny bones with witty one-liners. But what happens when a joke is taken too far? Comedian Sunil Pal found himself in precisely this situation after his alleged derogatory remarks on doctors and frontline workers went viral in a recent video.
Pal allegedly passed derogatory comments against doctors and said that “90% of doctors dressed in “demon suit” scare patients till the covid patient dies of fear.” TOI reports that Pal allegedly claimed “doctors are thieves who do not care for poor people”. Subsequently, Dr. Sushmita Bhatnagar, the head of the Association of Medical Consultants filed a complaint against him.
An FIR was then lodged against him by the Andheri police on the basis of her complaint. Dr. Bhatnagar explained that she came across the video on social media and said that Pal was defaming doctors amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
In the video, Pal allegedly says, “Doctors are a form of God, but 90 percent of the doctors have taken an evil form, and are fraud. Poor people are being scared in the name of COVID all day, they are humiliated and harassed by saying there are no beds, no plasma, no medicine, no this, no that.”
— Sunil Pal Comedian (@iSunilPal) May 6, 2021
According to Zee News, cops booked Pal under IPC sections 505-II (statement conducting mischief) and 500 (punishment for defamation). However, the comedian soon apologized for his remarks. Sunil said, “I did not intend to mean that for every doctor. I did say it for a few, but if it has hurt anyone then I am sorry for my statement.”
📣 Follow Storypick on Instagram! Click here to follow @story.pick
He further added, “I still stand by my comments because doctors were considered as God. During these tough times, poor people are made to suffer and I have mentioned in the video 90% of doctors are dressed in demons and the rest there are still 10% doctors who are doing their duty to serve people. There is no need for doctors to get hurt if they are serving and doing their duty sincerely.”
Have a look at the statement he tweeted-
Sorry doctor's 🙏🙏🙏🙏 #doctorsaresaviours #AIIMS @AmitShah @AmitShahOffice @PMOIndia @ANI @ndtv @ndtvindia @ABPNews @AIIMSRDA @AMCMUMBAI @CMOMaharashtra @OfficeofUT @AUThackeray @rajeshtope11 @MumbaiPolice @CPMumbaiPolice @DGPMaharashtra :- https://t.co/X1sE39oEgQ pic.twitter.com/0U72sOIviU
— Sunil Pal Comedian (@iSunilPal) May 5, 2021
What do you think of this incident?