We’ve seen the hindi serials, looked at the female leads and wondered what the hell is happening in the world. On one hand there is blunt patriarchy and on the other we have our TV series that show Priyanka Chopra kicking ass, Blair Waldorf dictating a school and Meredith Grey dealing with her demons head on.
So when you’re in the mood to watch some strong female leads, who basically carry the show on their shoulders and without who you wouldn’t want to turn on the TV, then here’s a few that you shouldn’t miss.
1. Jenna Hamilton (Ashley Rickards) – Awkward
She’s got her options and she’s set on becoming nothing less than ‘Jenna’.
2. Alex Parrish (Priyanka Chopra) – Quantico
Kicking butt at the FBI academy and proving herself innocent, all while looking so damn hot.
3. Lorelai Gilmore (Lauren Graham) – Gilmore Girls
She’s the mother we dreamt of having, she’s the friend who keeps on giving and her sense of humor speaks volumes of her wit.
4. Selina Meyer (Julia Louis-Dreyfus) – Veep
Steer clear Hillary Clinton, you have a competitor.
5. Blair Waldorf (Leighton Meester) – Gossip Girl
She’s the dictator of style and the most sensitive soul with a heart of gold and love you can’t even begin to summon.
6. Serena Van Der Woodsen (Blake Lively) – Gossip Girl
She’s the other pillar on which the show is standing. Serena’s beauty is nothing in front of her amazing personality and her will to do good to others. She’s calm composed and everything a lady should be.
7. Kate Beckett (Stana Katic) – Castle
She’s feisty, she puts on her bullet proof jacket and loads her gun while she puts criminals behind bars every day.
8. Meredith Grey (Ellen Pompeo) – Grey’s Anatomy
She’s way more committed to her career than anything else, so much so that she’d trade a surgery for a date. She’s the modern woman who doesn’t just have love on her mind.
9. Mindy Lahiri (Mindy Kaling) – Mindy Project
When you’re craving for some laughs with a independent woman lead, this is the show to follow.
10. Donna Paulsen (Sarah Rafferty) – Suits
Donna knows everything and she uses it to benefit people she cares about. She’s the highest paid in her field and she’s as loyal as it gets.
11. Claire Dunphy (Julie Bowen) – Modern Family
She’s the all rounder. Who said you can’t work and have a family? Because Claire does it all. She doesn’t just work but now owns her own company and she’s still the best mom.
12. Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) – 30 Rock
She’ll give you career and personality goals in just one episode.
13. MacKenzie McHale (Emily Mortimer) – The Newsroom
The first woman presidents of The Cambridge Union, she kicks some serious ass at her job.
14. Jessica Day (Zooey Deschanel) – New Girl
She’s the girl who manages to get her way even with a bunch of male roommates. She makes them talk about their feelings and becomes one of the guys when they need her to be.
15. Max Black (Kat Dennings) – 2 Broke Girls
She’s the most badass person, and yet she does the nicest thing for a perfect stranger.
16. Jules Cobb (Courteney Cox) – Cougar Town
She’s the glue that holds the Cul de sac together. She’s the person everyone goes to for just about everything.
17. Carrie Bradshaw (Sarah Jessica Parker) – Sex and the City
She’s got her dreams right from the start and manages to achieve everything she set out to do and yet has the most happening and adorable love life.
18. Rachel Berry (Lea Michele) – Glee
She’s the girl who made a million plans, she’s the girl who strived hard to achieve everything. She wasn’t ever afraid to be herself and she never apologized for it.
19. Piper Chapman (Taylor Schilling)- Orange is The New Black
She survives in prison because of the ease with which she can be manipulative and at the same time avoid trouble with the other inmates.
20. Emily Thorne (Emily VanCamp) – Revenge
She supported herself with no family to look out for her, took revenge for her father’s death and cleared his name.
21. Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler) – Parks and Recreation
She plans to be the President of United States and let me tell you, she has my vote. (Even though it doesn’t really count).
22. Cersei Lannister (Lena Headey) – Game Of Thrones
She’d give you the chills and make a million men drop to their knees. She’s pure evil but she does it damn well.
23. Mary Crawley (Michelle Dockery) – Downton Abbey
She’s an heiress to her own empire, she’s a mother and an estate handler, a wife and a mother.
24. Violet Crawley (Maggie Smith) – Downton Abbey
She’s literally the most hilarious character on TV and she’ll bend others to her will at the tip of her tiny finger.
Which is the one you identify with the most?
Cover Image Source