Finding an eligible partner through an online dating site is nothing less than a herculean task! Moreover, you have to take rejections with a pinch of salt if people that you have right swiped don’t swipe you right in return. To add to the misery of people, an online dating site called ‘Beautiful People’ have been rejecting people who they think are ugly since 2002!
This private dating site means to match only beautiful people with other attractive partners! If you do not clear the standards of their ‘beauty catalog’ you are rejected.
The site currently has 750,000 members who have deservingly made the cut and judge the new applicants to vote them in or out. The site claims that they have rejected around 8.5 million people for not being hot enough since its launch in 2002.
“Beautiful People members, through a democratic rating system, filter out the undesirables, in order to keep their dating community beautiful,” managing director and founder of the site Greg Hodge told Mirror.
This website seems to be the epitome of shallow. Seeking solely Beautiful People and condemning others as ‘undesirables’! It is shocking to say the least.
Not just this, but the ‘beautiful’ members of the site have also curated a list of ten flaws for men and women each that make them ugly!
Here are the 10 ugliest features of men according to women members of the site:
1. Bad mouth — too small, no lips, poor teeth
3. Too short
4. Bad skin
5. Un-groomed facial or body hair — unibrow, nose hairs, wild beard, excessive back hair
6. Crooked, large or otherwise ugly nose
7. Balding or unkempt hair (not specifically styled that way)
8. Bad posture
9. Dirty or long nails or both
10. Too skinny/scrawny/effeminate
While the characteristics of ugly women according to the male member of the site are:
2. Eyes too far apart or close together or wonky
3. Big/unsightly nose
4. Bad skin
5. Poor figure (no shape, curves)
6. No butt, too much butt
7. “ThinFat” — skinny but no body tone
8. Bad mouth/teeth — too small, no lips, poor teeth
9. Bad makeup (too much makeup, makeup not correctly applied)
10. Unibrow, no plucking, too much plucking
Describing it in details Hodge said, “So many of the ugly traits listed are easily fixable, which means potentially there is a bigger market of beautiful people out there hidden behind excess weight, bad teeth or lack of grooming.”
But here comes the irony! Hodge himself was once voted out of the site for being ugly. “When I couldn’t get voted back on, it was a blow,” he says.
“With a little more education in aesthetics, we will be able to further increase our market demographic and make the world a more beautiful place,” he adds.
While there’s no fault in having a preference, blatantly labeling people as ugly and unworthy is clearly discrimination. After all, love is blind. Isn’t it?