There are hundreds of languages, thousands of words, and millions of ways to use them in sentences. But when it comes to complimenting women, we often fall back on the cliched options that focus on their appearance.
You look pretty today
Your dress is sexy
And don’t even get us started on words like maal, tota, pataka, jabrat, etc that some women might consider creepy or even insensitive. So, how does a man compliment the women in his life and make her smile – be it a sister, friend, colleague, partner, or mother? What kind of compliments would they appreciate and remember for years to come? Something that is not cheesy, doesn’t sound fake or unnecessarily flowery and shows genuine respect and sincere admiration.
Here are some of them to inspire you:
1. You make me smile.
2. I feel really comfortable around you.
3. Thank you, for motivating me to start my fitness journey, for helping me shed my inhibitions and for inspiring me to be true to my emotions.
Personalized compliments are the best. Expressing gratitude for something they’ve helped you with or introduced you to will show that you care about their opinions, suggestions and feedback.
4. You’re one of the most interesting people I’ve ever met.
5. I love that you’re passionate about painting, helping the senior citizens in our community, your startup or your YouTube channel.
Everyone wants to be appreciated for their sense of style or achieving their fitness goals but compliments that focus on the mind and personality just hit differently. Praise their creativity, hustle and passion projects while offering them your full support.
6. I think you have a lot of interesting things to say and I am genuinely curious about your opinion on various issues.
7. I treasure you.
8. Your energy is infectious.
9. I love your determination while working towards your career goals.
10. I love learning about you every day – your quirks, your guilty pleasures, your fears and your insecurities.
11. I’m proud of you.
Simple but powerful. Taking notice of her wins and communicating your pride in her achieving them truly matters a lot.
12. I love sharing my weird theories, funny stories, work issues, bucket-list goals, and secrets with you.
13. You have a great sense of humor, there’s never a dull moment with you.
14. I like the way your mind works.
15. The way you crinkle your forehead when you concentrate, the way you forget to eat while curled up with your favourite book, the way you ask to be cuddled when you’re sad; I find all of it extremely adorable.
Last but definitely not least, notice the little things and surprise her by complimenting them. This one never fails.
This list of 15 compliments is pretty good (if we do say so ourselves) BUT they can’t be simply copy-pasted and sent via text. They are essentially guides that need to be tailored according to the receiver and the situation. And of course, you have to genuinely mean them. Also, the tone, emotions, and expressions that accompany the compliment play as much a role as the words themselves. Finally, we’ll sign off by saying that never ever end a compliment with “for a woman”. You have been warned 😛