Clothes are an important aspect of our lifestyle. They protect us from the elements, they make us look good, and they also express our opinions and statements in a way.
That’s why they have to be taken care of. Because they deserve to last long too, since most of them can – if you care properly for them. These hacks, in the long run, will leave you with more clothes, better clothes and a lot of money saved too.
1. Use a razor to remove the knots and fuzz on the surface of your sweater
Do it gently. Don’t scrape hard.
2. Re-stretch the shrunken clothes by using baby shampoo
Did T-shirt shrink just after one wash? Do not panic or be disappointed. Just soak it in warm water and add some baby shampoo to it. Let it soak for a few hours and then remove it, rinse it and stretch it out before air-drying it outside.
3. Put cold water in your shoes to expand them to the size that is comfortable for you
When you get the perfect pair of shoes and somehow they are a bit tight, do not panic and return them. Fill a plastic bag full of water and put the bags inside the shoes. Put the shoes overnight in the fridge.
When water is cooled, it expands and so will the shoes.
4. Wear your leather jacket in the rain so that they fit your body perfectly
Leather moulds to a different shape when it is wet. Go into the rain once wearing your leather jacket. It will automatically take the shape of your body after it dries.
5. DON’T wash your Levis jeans
Jeans are not supposed to be washed. And this was recommended by Levis himself. The characteristic blue color will never fade completely as they do when they are washed regularly.
Not washing them a lot gives them the aesthetically right faded look.
6. And if they smell because you are not washing them, put them in the freezer overnight
Put the jeans in a plastic ziplock and put them in the freezer overnight. That will take care of the smell.
7. And if you really want to wash them, add some vinegar in the last cycle of the machine wash.
Use distilled vinegar in the washing machine during the last cycle of washing the jeans. It will prevent them from additional discoloring.
8. Spray some water on the clothes and shake them vigorously to remove wrinkles
Do this when you do not have the time to iron or the will to do it either.
9. Never unbutton the lower buttons of your shirt and wear the shirt as a t-shirt to save time
It is easier to iron them too, this way.
10. Use some water and rub on your sweater if the static is bothering you too much
If your sweater is producing too much static all the time, take some water in your hand and rub it all over the sweater. It will diffuse the static electricity promptly.
11. Use banana peels to polish your shoes
Then wipe them again using a clean and dry cloth. It will look like you polished them new.
📣 Follow Storypick on Instagram! Click here to follow @story.pick
12. Fabric dye can be used to cover up stains
Have you ever come across a stain that doesn’t wash away at all? Jut go and buy fabric dye from your nearest supermarket and dye your stained cloth in a darker color. Stain gone.
Also, fabric dyes are very affordable too.
13. Hang your clothes in the bathroom when you take a hot shower to smooth out the wrinkles
When you take hot showers, it produces steam. When you hang your clothes in the bathroom this excess steam will remove the wrinkles on the washed clothes. You can iron them quickly after that, or not iron them at all.
14. Use hair straighteners to iron shirt collars
Just be careful that they don’t burn your neck in the process.
15. Use window cleaner to clean your leather jacket or leather purse or anything leather
Turns out, surface cleaners are very good at cleaning leather products.
16. Use baking soda to remove shoe odours
Baking soda is very good at absorbing. They will also absorb the chemicals that are responsible for the bad odor. Also, baking soda is a good germ killer.
17. Wash your shoes in the washing machine
No, the shoes will not harm the washing machine. Just remove the laces and throw in a cotton rag in there.
18. Wait for a few minutes after you iron your clothes
Ironing is basically restructuring the molecules of the very fabric with heat. You need it to cool down so that it remains in the same shape you ironed it in. If you move it while it is still warm, the wrinkles will appear again.
19. Don’t spray perfume on your clothes. They will stain them
Perfumes can stain fabrics, just like sweat. Spray them on your skin first and let it completely dry before putting on your clothes.
20. Don’t use plastic and metal hangers for everything
Plastic hangers lose shape after long use, and so do metal ones. That is why use wooden hangers so that the clothes put on them don’t lose their shape either.
21. Hang the single socks on a separate line so that you may find one eventually
Have a separate clothesline or a hanging spot for the single socks you find in your washing machine. Eventually, you will find the missing one, and when you do, you know where its partner is.
Hope your clothes have a long and healthy life, just like you.