Bear Grylls is an impressive individual. He is a former British Special Forces Commando. He almost shattered his spine in a parachuting accident and 18 months later he went on to climb Mount Everest – when he was just 23.
He is the scout master for the Scouts in the whole world.
But he is more popularly known for the supposed lack of any reservation in eating anything that walks under the sun.
People eat Whey protein as their nutritional supplement, Bear Grylls eats cockroaches and larvae. And if you have seen Man vs Wild, you must have seen that surviving harsh climates and a dangerous terrain are the least of his courageous acts.
He showed exceptional courage when he ate things that even hardcore non-vegetarians found impressive.
1. The time when he bit off the head of a snake and ate it raw
Snakes terrify almost 90% of the population. The other 9.999% stays away from them. 0.0001 eats them after cooking. Bear Grylls snatches the slithery creatures off the ground and eats them – cooking be damned.
2. The time when he killed an alligator and ate it raw, again
Move over Steve Irwin, who used to just wrestle alligators and crocodiles. Bear Grylls just killed the alligator and ate it. Yum.
3. He also ate a moose heart in the cold
Ripped the heart out and ate it, because eating normal cuts of meat is too mainstream now.
4. He ate a camel and then slept inside its carcass – long before Leonardo Dicaprio made it cool
FYI the camel was rancid and had been dead for some days.
5. He even ate a scorpion live, its venomous sting be damned
Swallowed it whole.
6. He tried the regional delicacy of goat testicles too
he says it is the worst thing he has ever tasted and almost vomited, but then swallowed the vomit with the testicles as well.
7. And while we are on the topic of not eating mainstream meat, he ate a yak’s eyeballs too
8. Then there was a time he ate a tick too. He says they provide good nutrition
He woke up in the morning to find the tick sucking on his blood.
You do not suck Bear Grylls’ blood and get away with it.
9. A giant larva is also on the menu
Imagine small maggots, but the size of your hand. And yes, they were alive.
10. Raw zebra carcass, because why not?
When you do not have time to cook zebra meat.
11. Sushi, what is that? Raw fish from the pond is the way to go.
Forget about fish filets and caviar delicacies. Think raw fish freshly caught and biting into the live flesh as it writhes in your hand.
We can just imagine him singing this with Carly Rae Jepson –
Hey I just met you,
and this is crazy,
but I am hungry,
so I will eat you maybe.