Probably the most exciting part of the year for most Indians is the Durga Puja- the 10 day revelry, that is equal parts fun, shopping and piety. Every one of us, wherever in the world we may be, wants to be back home.
Here are 10 reasons why we absolutely love Durga Puja:
1. It’s exciting because it’s a loooooooong celebration
It’s not a single day affair. It’s the start of the whole festive season. After Durga Puja there’s Diwali, Christmas and New Year all lined up. And if you stay away from home, it’s time to go back! 😀
2. The drum beats from the nearest puja pandal keep you upbeat
Your hands and legs start grooving to the beats, and the atmosphere acts as a happy reminder that the festive season is finally upon us.
3. Every day, there’s an Aarti for the different avatars of Goddess Durga
The smell of incense, the flowers, the brightly lit lamps and the chanting of the prayers is an experience not to be missed.
4. Not to mention, the abundance of delectable bhog
While the adults are busy with the bhog, kids play with pistol crackers. Remember those small circular boxes of pistol strips?
5. Pandal hopping with friends & family and of course numerous pandal selfies
And it’s a good reason to check out some well dressed guys/girls too. 😉
6. Creative installations, lighting, pandal decorations & the whole atmosphere gets filled with pomp and music
Those interesting pandals with life-like Durga, moving structures, replica of famous events/monuments are a wonder to watch.
7. Then there’s the Dhunuchi dance
And the fun Dandiya, the highlight of Navratri
Everything about it is filled with so much of excitement and energy. The outfits, the dancing, the garba and the songs. 🙂
8. And when there’s dance, there are new clothes and accessories
In fact, shopping for new clothes during Durga Puja has been a compulsory thing since your childhood. You also spent hell lot of time arranging each dress for each day. Phew!
9. Moreover, Durga Puja marks the beginning of shopping season with deals, offers and sales everywhere
Start this season on a high note, use your MasterCard Credit or Debit Card for all your festive purchases and get a chance to go to the 57th Grammys.
Click here to go to the Grammys.
10. And it’s that time of the year when you treat yourself & your loved ones
Rarely does one cook food at home. Because after a marathon day of shopping, hopping, singing, dancing & Puja, the best way to end the day is to fine dine with everyone as a group.
Above all, the festive season brings people together
Friends, family and relatives get together. And nothing else matters.
Cover image source
This article is brought to you in association with MasterCard