Ramadan, the holiest month of the Islamic calendar, is observed as it commemorates Prophet Muhammad first receiving revelations. Here are ten reasons that signify the fasting during Ramadan.
1. Sympathize with those in the world with very little to eat
Through the feelings of hunger and thirst during the Ramadan fast, one develops greater empathy towards the less fortunate in this world.
2. Enable a healthy lifestyle and diet
Ramadan fasting helps create a mindset for achieving a healthier diet by getting rid of the snacking and munching habits.
3. Reduce extra body-weight
The fasting month gets rid of a few extra kilos.
4. Improving restraint on bad addictive habits
It helps one get rid of excessive indulgence of bad habits.
5. Healthy mind and soul through prayers
The extra prayers (Tarawih) performed help people connect with their inner conscience.
6. Detoxification of the body & reduce stress
The fast detoxifies the body and helps control stress by reducing the secretion of cortisol hormone.
7. Feelings of generosity
Ramadan brings with it a tradition of charity. It opens one’s mind towards the joy of giving.
8. Self Control & Self Restraint
Ramadan fast also teaches a person to value discipline and punctuality.
9. Socializing through family and community gatherings
10. The real purpose of fasting…
Fasting is not just the state of remaining hungry. It is to reduce physical food and increase the other kind viz. spiritual. The real purpose of fasting is to attain righteousness.